Sunday 23 January 2011

Booklog #11

Eyes down, look in...here's this week's book report. 

This week I've finished:

* Wish ~ Alexandra Bullen
This is a light and sweet chick (or perhaps teen?) lit story about a shy 15 year old girl grieving for her recently dead twin sister, while also coping with being moved all the way across the USA and all the problems that brings (new school, making friends, boys etc).  An encounter with a seamstress who is more than she seems sets Olivia's life on a new path in a magical way. 

It's a nice book - somewhat predictable (you'll see the ending coming from quite a long way off), but there's nothing wrong with that sometimes.  After finishing the darkness that was In Search of Adam it was a lovely shiny twinkly piece of light!  I read it in a couple of days as it's written in a breezy flowing style that keeps you hanging on for 'just one more chapter'.  4/5

This week I've started:

* Moab is my Washpot ~ Stephen Fry
Fry's first autobiography, chronicling his early childhood up to his early twenties. 

I'm still reading:

* The Parthenon ~ Mary Beard
* Pillars of the Earth ~ Ken Follett
* The Children's Book ~ A.S. Byatt (I've bullied myself into perservering with it each night and have got all the way up to a mighty /53 chapters)
* Murder on the Flying Scotsman ~ Carola Dunn (book club)

This puts me at 5/100 for the 100 Books in a Year challenge.  

Adios for now! 
.

1 comment:

  1. Doh - was too hasty with the 'publish now' button and posted before I checked and put in the Children's Book chapter! It should read that I'm midway through ch 41 of 53...not too much left to go, will I be done with it before January ends?

    ReplyDelete