Wednesday 10 November 2010

Kidnapped by Homer

Sigh.  I had plans to forge ahead with Project NaNoWriMo today, however Homer (he of ancient times, not he of The Simpsons) had other ideas.  Somehow, yet another assignment deadline has rolled round and I have 1000 words to write by November 19th about either A) the theme of 'virtue' in the Iliad, or B) the relevance of material evidence (i.e. pots, statues etc) to the society which Homer wrote about.  ARGH! 

I love studying, I really do - acquiring new knowledge is a most amazing feeling, even if it's not very useful in a practical sense.  But when it comes to assignments and being tested on that knowledge I go into panic mode.  I've never missed a deadline or failed to submit something, but I always feel that what I've managed to scrape together is terrible (is there a theme here? this sounds like my other posts!) but will have to do, then when I get the mark back I'm generally pleasantly surprised.  I felt this way about the final assignment for my last full-length course and I ended up getting 98% for that!!  I suppose that as with most things in life, it comes down to confidence and self-belief.  I need to believe that I know enough about this subject and am a competent enough academic writer to put it into words. 

Not that I got as far as putting it into words today.  I'm going with option A but have spent all day researching for it so that I have something to write.  There's a tutorial this Saturday where my geographical study group will meet up for a couple of hours, so I'm hoping to get some additional inspiration from there.  Fingers crossed anyway! 

Trojan Horse, http://www.canakkale.gov.tr/eng_twoeast_westwar.htm

Incidentally, the mark came back for the last assignment that I was complaining about (ha ha!) - 75%, which equates to a B grade in Open University grading.  Not too shabby! 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment