Sunday 6 February 2011

Booklog #13

Ooh - number 13, will this be the unluckiest Booklog..? 

This week I've finished:

* The Golden Acorn ~ Catherine Cooper
This is, admittedly, a children's story, and when I say 'children's' I don't mean that Young Adult sort of group that Real Adults can just about get away with enjoying, it is properly for children (perhaps 10-12 year olds?).  But it was a free (I think) Kindle download so in the spirit of trying things, I tried it.  It's actually very well-written...even though it is relatively simplistic, the plot is solid, the characters are charming (mostly, there are one or two less pleasant ones!) and the action is well-paced. 

It's the adventure of a young boy called Jack, who turns out to be The Chosen One to fulfil a prophecy which will save some supernatural beings (water nymphs, faery folk, dragons etc) and the forest they live in from fading away and dying.  Essentially the message is about bravery, standing up for your friends and that kind of thing - Jack has to take a leap of faith more than once and must learn a lot, but by the end he's a better person for it.  One thing that did annoy me was that the ending is very abrupt - I suppose it may well be preparation for a sequel.  For that reason: 3/5

* The Library of Gold ~ Gayle Lynds
Ah, I do enjoy a good historical-artefact-chase-thriller!  And when you mix in a mythical library (a library!  A book about books - what could be better?!) I'm sold.  Luckily, the characters and the writing also lived up to the high quality of the promised storyline and once again I found myself engrossed in a book that I just didn't want to put down.  It's a thrilling chase around the world (including Athens and the Parthenon, which was nice after having just studied it) with assassins, gunfights, spies, double-crossing and clues aplenty.  I won't spoil anything for you, but will just say that if you enjoy Dan Brown you'll enjoy this.  4.5/5 (half a mark deducted as I feel that a perfect book has re-readability, and of course this doesn't because by the end you know the answers to everything)

This week I've started:

* White Fang ~ Jack London

I'm still reading:

* Picture Perfect ~ Jodi Picoult
* Pillars of the Earth ~ Ken Follett
* Murder on the Flying Scotsman ~ Carola Dunn
* The Parthenon ~ Mary Beard

This puts me at 10/100 for the 100 Books in a Year Challenge

How's your reading going this year? 
.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Toyah, I think I'm commenting on the wrong topic but I don't suppose it matters. I'm interested in Microsoft One Note as we have Office 2007 here. Does it let you store picture files in the same way. I have to sort all my pics into lots of different folders and they are all over the place.

    Keep up the good work. Hope you reach your 100 book target, and I joined YouGov through your link too.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue

    You can save images into OneNote, but it's as if you'd pinned them to a board - more of a way to see lots of things at once, as opposed to a storage system. I don't think it saves the files into the OneNote file in such a way that you can 'open' them from it as if it were a folder, you just view them. Having said that, of course I am fairly new to it so perhaps it's capable of more than I know - perhaps give it a go with just a couple of pics and see what happens?

    Thanks very much for the support, and for the Yougov signup (it nets me £2 I think - woohoo!) :o)

    ReplyDelete