Wednesday 2 March 2011

Rushing Romans

Phew - I feel quite mentally drained, I can tell you...apologies that this won't be a very long and probing post.  Today I've written a 1500 word essay about the Roman poets Virgil, Horace and Propertius from scratch.  From scratch!  Yesterday all I had was a pile of papers with bullet point notes on and right now I have exactly 1500 words (carefully edited so as to be not one word over or under the limit) which are not too bad if I do say so myself. 

I'm beginning to wonder whether I'm doomed to always end up rushing these assignments.  Every single time I finish one I swear to myself that next time I'll be ahead of the game.  I'll have studied the chapters ahead of the schedule, thus leaving myself ample time to a) plan and b) write the thing.  But now I find that there's only one assignment left before the exam!  It's due two months from now...what are the odds of me actually getting ahead and having that extra time to do it real justice (it's worth the highest percentage of marks of the whole course)?  At least I know that once I've done that one, all I have left is exam revision, which I actually enjoy as it gives me a chance to do flash cards, mind maps and all sorts of visual memory aides.  And after that my Wednesdays will be purely for creative writing! 

Assuming I don't crumble and sign up for another OU course in October of course...  ;o)

Adios for now! 
.

3 comments:

  1. Just curious, are Open University courses expensive in the UK? They can be pretty pricey here so I was just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fairly expensive yes, though comparable with the costs of if you went to a physical uni instead of a distance learning one. Of course there aren't all the living costs associated with physical uni, like food, renting a room etc.

    This is a 60 point course, so is about nine months long and expects you to do a certain number of hours study per week, and it cost me £630 (about $1000 Canadian). You can get financial support but because I earn a good salary I don't qualify for it (fair enough I guess). Of course the shorter courses are correspondingly cheaper. They offer the ability to pay for it monthly, which is what I'm doing - it's £85 per month which is a lot easier to cope with than paying a huge lump sum!

    I know that even in Ireland - which is pretty much within viewing distance from parts of the UK the price is MUCH higher - simply because it's not part of the UK. I suppose they have to class it as an 'export' so it's subject to taxes and stuff (?). I like to think it's worth the money though - I prefer to blow my cash on learning than on nights out, cigarettes and alcohol like so many other people do! ;oD

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I prefer to blow my cash on learning than on nights out, cigarettes and alcohol like so many other people do!"

    But then I am a bit of a nerd... :o)

    ReplyDelete