Sunday 3 April 2011

Booklog #19

Hello all - so sorry I didn't get chance to post on Wednesday, I was wrapped up in research for Hitched and the day just ran away with me.  I've decided to focus on twenty key cities initially (the ones that the main UK airlines have direct flights to) to make it more manageable, so last Wednesday was Atlanta, Georgia, and surrounding area.  I've learnt so much about it already! 

This week I've finished:

* Angel ~ L.A. Weatherly
Well I'll tell you something - having the Kindle has certainly expanded my knowledge of the Young Adult paranormal genre.  It seems like every other cheap book is vampire/werewolf/angel/undead-related!  As you can tell from the title, this is of the angel oeuvre, but it's not what you think...these angels aren't the nice floaty healing kind, they're the 'feeding off human auras and draining them' kind.  It's down to high school psychic outcast Willow and Angel Killer (yes, that's his job) Alex to try and stop them bringing the Second Wave of angels into this world, as that would spell the end of humanity. 

I didn't have terribly high expectations, but actually enjoyed Angel quite a lot.  Willow is vulnerable but not pathetic (I'm looking at you Bella Swan), and as the book goes on she develops considerably (in a way you'd never expect!).  Alex is only 18 but has been an Angel Killer since he was 11 so is mature beyond his years, and although brooding about events in his past, he doesn't come across as pining (hello Edward Cullen).  After a shaky start their relationship blossoms quite naturally and you really believe that they were made to be together.  The action ebbs and flows as they're chased across the country, giving you chance to catch your breath in the quieter spells, until the big finale.  I have to say that I felt a little let down by this part - it seemed rushed, but as there are a couple of sequels I guess the ending here couldn't be too apocalyptic or there'd be nothing left for the other books! 

Well-written characters (both human and angel), good pacing and an interesting overall concept - 4/5

This week I've started:

* Crime and Punishment ~ Fyodor Dostoyevsky (oh yes, starting on an epic!)
* The Game ~ Heather Killough-Walden

I'm still reading:

* The Parthenon ~ Mary Beard (it's slow going)
* Styx and Stones ~ Carola Dunn (almost finished - having our last book club meeting tomorrow before we read the finale)

Have a great week - I promise I'll post this Wednesday... *slaps own wrist* 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment