Sunday 10 April 2011

Booklog #20

Wow - the twentieth booklog!  It really doesn't feel like twenty weeks (more if you count the ones I missed over Christmas) since I started doing this...time certainly is flying by...

This week I finished:

* Styx and Stones ~ Carola Dunn
Once more, my two book club buddies and I have proved to be rubbish detectives - we failed to identify the murderer...again!  I really thought I had it this time as well!  As with Murder on the Flying Scotsman this is a traditional 'cosy' whodunit - an enclosed setting (this time a small village), a shortlist of possible suspects, an official police officer assisted by an unexpected amateur sleuth and so on. 

Our sleuth here is Miss Daisy Dalrymple, a young lady engaged to a Detective Chief Inspector of Scotland Yard (handy for getting her involved in investigating lots of crimes!).  This is a time when high class ladies simply Did Not Work...one generally married and became a mother while living off one's husband's income...however Daisy does work, she writes articles for magazines.  This is frequently commented upon with disdain by other ladies in the books, which I feel could get a bit wearing if it carries on through the whole series.  Otherwise though, they are very enjoyable - kind of 'Agatha Christie-lite', they don't have the depth of Christie but are the same style (and just as difficult to solve!).  4/5

This week I started:

* Take the Monkeys and Run ~ Karen Cantwell (strange title, I know!) 

I'm still reading:

* The Parthenon ~ Mary Beard
* Crime and Punishment ~ Fyodor Dostoyevsky
* The Game ~ Heather Killough-Walden

If you're a Kindle owner in the UK, you might be interested to know that a new 'crop' of free books were listed this week - if you click on 'Top 100 Free' you'll see some of them in the top rankings.  Buying one causes it to suggest a load of others to you, so you can find them all pretty easily.  I've got about 11 or 12 already...there were no reviews yet so they might be rubbish, but as they cost me nothing I don't care! 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment