Sunday 24 October 2010

Books, books, books - a new idea!

Hello!  Yes, I know it's Sunday night and you're probably wondering why on earth I'm posting, but I was just reading another blogger's post ( The Taming of the Shelves ) and it struck me that the amount and variety of books which I read must surely impact on my writing.  I thought that looking at this in more detail could be interesting, or at the very least might suggest books that you may not have tried but may like to. 

I'm what you might call a butterfly reader - I flit from book to book depending on my mood, so at any time could have anything up to six or seven different ones on the go.  This has increased since I got the Kindle (oops!), the way that it saves your place within each book is just so handy - and of course popping onto the site and downloading new stuff is so easy that it's hard to resist.  People sometimes find it hard to understand how I can read multiple books without getting confused, but it's second nature to me.  Surely it's no different to watching different TV series?  I've watched Lost, Heroes and Sex And The City, but I never got confused when Carrie wasn't on the island or Sylar wasn't in Bloomingdales! 

So my idea is to post here every Sunday about what I've read during the week, what I think of it, and anything else book-related that occurs to me. Of course if you have any recommendations please do post them - I'll try most things! 

As it's quite late right now - and I have work in the morning - here's a quick starter for ten.  This week I finished reading:

Company of Liars ~ Karen Maitland 
Please Forgive Me ~ Melissa Hill
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow ~ Washington Irvine
Heart of Darkness ~ Joseph Conrad
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland ~ Lewis Carroll

I'm still reading:
The Book of Secrets ~ Tom Harper
The Children's Book ~ A S Byatt
The Redbreast - Jo Nesbo (this is for my book club)

I'll do some reviewing and scoring next week - but right now my bed's calling me!  :oD
.

3 comments:

  1. So if I were to read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow would I be able to sleep again this year? On a level of 1 - 10 with 10 being the highest, what would you rate its scarriness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might like a website called GoodReads.com. You can post your books in progress, give a review when done, and keep track of all the books you want to read, have read, etc. It also suggests books or blogs you might like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks hiddenmickey - I'll check that out...I can't resist a book-related website!

    Josey - have you seen the Sleepy Hollow movie with Johnny Depp? Well if you were to say that was 10/10 on the scary scale, then I'd say 'Legend...' equates to 2/10. I don't know whether it's because having already seen the film I had certain expectations as to what was going to happen (which then didn't, so it seemed somewhat empty), but it just felt like a bit of a letdown. Though maybe in Ye Olden Days it would have been considered scary(?).

    ReplyDelete