Wednesday 1 September 2010

A Great Day

Why a great day?  Well, there are a number of reasons! 

Firstly, I am in love with my newest gadget - my Amazon Kindle.  Yes yes, I know it's for reading and not for writing, but it's just so amazing that I can't not mention it!  I could harp on about all its features, but it would be easier to recommend that if you love reading, go to Amazon and get one.  Now!  I was dubious about reading off a screen before I got it, but I needn't have worried as it's actually really good.  I actually keep catching myself looking at it and thinking "but surely that's ink printed onto it?" even though I know it can't be...

Secondly, I have had a productive day and got over a thousand words down towards what I'm going to call Project Blake, which is a 'police procedure' crime novel.  Ages and ages ago I had a random idea for an opening scene for a book like this (fortunately I wrote it down at the time), and recently an 'investigator' character started clamouring inside my head to be let out, so the two ideas have been put together into one project.  It's early days of course, but I'm pretty excited about it.  The old adage 'write what you know' seems a good place to start - I work in the forensic department of our local police force so there is a lot of research material and people's expertise sat right there on a plate for me.  (NB Of course I would never use real-life cases, people or details in my writing.  It's just handy that I can check how things would be done in various scenarios.)

Thirdly, well, it's sunny.  And that's always nice! :o)

"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them" ~Walt Disney
.

2 comments:

  1. Ah... great to read a writers view on the kindle! I like to think that writers have a different perspective because we work with words all day.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Regards
    Robyn M Speed
    www.robynmspeed.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robyn - I do really love it, though I can foresee it might be difficult to curb my (already quite bad) book buying habit! ;oD

    ReplyDelete