Wednesday 23 March 2011

A change of perspective

So it seems that every Wednesday, the sun decides to shine its little heart out just because the window my table faces is east-facing, so gets the sun in the morning.  Every Wednesday I'm blinded and can hardly see the screen (even with the blinds closed), forced to retreat to the sofa with the laptop until the big shiny ball in the sky has moved across the sky to shine on the other side of the house.  Working on the sofa is not conducive to productivity, I've discovered - I think it's the ratio of comfiness, the more comfy you are, the less you want to do.  But I digress...so, today was no exception until, hearing me cursing, hubby comes in and points out the blindingly obvious (no pun intended).  Why don't I just move the table so it's not facing the window?  Well, as my mum always said: Toyah's very clever academically, but has no common sense whatsoever.  And I think this proved her right.  How many months have I been working away here, muttering to myself about the stupid sun?  Seven!  So we rotated the table 90 degrees and moved it away from the window and lo, perfect vision, no sunlight, no shadows.  It can't stay there of course - this is our lounge I'm talking about and it's now right in the middle of the room like a gigantic coffee table, so it'll go back when I've finished working for today, but that moment of realisation was pretty sweet.  Thanks hubby, for being the practical one as always! 

Today has also been a 10k Day, though as usual I have failed to get anywhere near that.  I started out well, doing some free-writing on Project Crunch and knocking out 1000 words in about an hour and a half.  Then - fatally - I checked a forum post that I'd put on a site I visit frequently regarding Project Hitched (asking for ideas/suggestions).  Ah.  Really shouldn't have done that.  There were a load of new posts since I'd last checked and it got me all fired up to go off and do more USA research.  I can't get to 10,000 words doing research!  *slaps own forehead*  But never mind - I did get 1790 words towards Crunch, which brings its total up to just under 5000.  And I have done a lot more trawling for Hitched, so the day wasn't unproductive.  I guess the change in perspective - from looking at the window to looking at the fireplace - made all the difference...
.

No comments:

Post a Comment