Wednesday 16 March 2011

Today's post is brought to you by the letter...

...A!  I bet you wondered where that title was going to lead?  Today I plunged into the endless ocean that is the internet to begin some proper research for Hitched and where better to start than with 'A' for 'Alabama'.  I like to be methodical so working my way through the fifty states alphabetically really appeals to me, even though it does mean I'll be jumping around the country somewhat erratically (next up is Alaska, for example). 

I've learnt a lot already - for example, I never knew Alabama had a coastline, I thought it was a landlocked state somewhere *waves hand vaguely* in the middle.  We're just not taught US geography in school here, or much history for that matter, so all I know is picked up from TV, things I've read and the places I've been.  Considering I've only been to two places in the US - New York and Florida - that's only the tiniest tip of the iceberg of what's out there to discover.  I'm really quite excited about the whole project now, I've been bitten by the travel bug already and I'm only on my first state!  I have to hope that when the book is done and published (positive thinking here!) I can go on some sort of tour...maybe to take a photo of it with every single state sign?  That would be rather lovely. 

Japan continues to be foremost in my thoughts and I would continue to urge you to donate to one of the charities sending aid to those suffering if you can.  Thank you. 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment