Sunday 12 December 2010

Booklog #7

Season's greetings!  I'm feeling slightly festive today, after writing cards, putting up decorations (well, supervising hubby putting them up anyway) and doing a test run of baking biscuits to give as presents.  I'll be honest - cooking is not my strong point, even this basic shortbread recipe turned into a bit of a stress, but they seemed to turn out okay so I'll make another lot just before Christmas to give away. 

But onto the books! 

This week I finished:

The New World ~ Patrick Ness
This is a short story that was free on Kindle, with a strong sci-fi feel.  I suspect it's a kind of mini-prequel, designed to lead you into reading Ness's other books.  Although I like fantasy (Tolkien etc) I'm not into sci-fi so much, but for free I thought I would give it a try.  There's absolutely nothing to criticise about the writing - the short plot moves along well, the teenage heroine and her parents are well developed as characters in such a small piece and the ending is a real cliffhanger - but it's just not my cup of tea.  If you enjoy sci-fi as a genre though, I daresay you would really like Patrick Ness.  3/5 

This week I started:

Nothing except The New World - it's been quite a busy week for me.  I did download a few Kindle books, which are now sat in my ever-expanding 'To Be Read' category... 

I'm still reading:

* Shatter (The Children of Man) ~ Elizabeth C. Mock
* Pillars of the Earth ~ Ken Follett (I'm up to Part 2, have put it aside while I work on getting through Shatter)
* The Children's Book ~ A.S. Byatt (chapter 25, it still hasn't got any better!)

Best wishes! 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment