Wednesday 1 December 2010

The results are in...

As the UK is in the grip of what seems to be The Worst Winter Ever And It's Only The First Of December, I write to you from within a huge jumper, thick trousers and fingerless gloves.  No, I'm not outside, I'm in my living room (with the fire on!) but once my fingers get cold it takes an awful lot to bring them back to life.  For every ten minutes I sit here writing, I feel like I need to spend five minutes huffing on them.  But enough about my rubbish circulation...

Yesterday was the final day of NaNoWriMo and as you can see from my little blue box on the left, I did not make it to the 50,000 finish line.  I'm very happy with just over 10k though as it's much more than I've ever been able to produce in such a relatively short space of time before now.  The feeling that all you need to do is just sit and write whatever comes out of your head is really liberating and on the sessions I was able to sit and do it, I did get quite swept up in it.  Now I have eleven months to think of an idea that I can use for next year's NaNo...  ;o)

Today I've been catching up with some studying.  I got the mark back from that last essay that I was stressing about - 72%!  Hopefully for the next one I'll have a bit more confidence, given that my tutor obviously thinks I'm better at this than I do.  We've moved on from Homer now to fifth century BCE Athens - the foundations of democracy and all that kind of thing.  I've been reading about Athenian theatre and listened to a play called Persians by Aeschylus.  It's not a cheery way to spend an hour, I can tell you - there's a lot of wailing and lamenting and 'aiaiai'-ing!  I'm sure that once I get a bit further into the study block it will become more apparent how this links to Greek society and so forth. 

Persians and the associated coursebook reading has taken up most of the day, but I've also been doing some tweaking to the blog, trying to make it more what I would want to see if I were a reader.  I hope it doesn't feel too cluttered, I don't know how (or if it's even possible) to make the main section wider so that things would be more spread out.  Hmm, maybe I need to add Blogger for Dummies to my collection...

Lastly I just want to share two links with you.  I saw them while browsing some other blogs today and they just made me laugh, hopefully you will too! 

Nine Circles (credit to Nathan Bransford as it's his blog)

Awesome Bookshelf System (credit to John Baker as it's his blog)

Best wishes - stay warm!

Picture from here
.

2 comments:

  1. Love your opening paragraph, I felt your chills and your frozen fingers and the gentle rustles of your cozy jumpers even at the speed I was inhaling your words. That the British accents always come through a written blog never cease to amuse me, and terrify me just the same when I realize I must sound like a Cali fruity nutty Chinglish pigeon. Thanks for sharing your world, your books and the image of your huffs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shopgirl (and thanks for becoming a follower!)...and I have to say in return that I do love the Cali accent. ;o) Luckily the snow has gone now and the temperatures are back up to normal - i.e. just cold, not literally freezing. It's just as well because I'd have had to buy more thermals otherwise..!

    ReplyDelete